You can save hundreds of dollars each year on electricity. How? There are a lot of ways. Here’s just a few you can try.
Save on Electricity
- Make certain that any new appliances you purchase are energy-efficient. This is especially important for air conditioners and furnaces. Information on the energy efficiency of most major appliances is found on Energy Guide Labels.
- Enroll in load management programs and off-hour rate programs offered by your electric utility company. This can save up to $100 a year in electricity costs. Call your electric utility for information about these cost-saving programs.
Save on Home Heating
- A home energy audit can identify ways of saving hundreds of dollars a year on home heating and cooling. Ask your electric or gas utility if they can do this audit. The audits are free or are offered at a low cost. If they cannot, ask them to refer you to a qualified professional.
Save on Telephone Bills
- At least once a year review your phone bills for the previous three months to see what local, local toll, long distance, and international calls you normally make. Call several phone companies, including wireless companies, to find an inexpensive calling plan that meets your needs.
- If you make very few toll or long distance calls, avoid calling plans with monthly fees or minimums.
- Check your phone bill to see if you have optional calling services you don’t use. Each option you drop could save you $37 or more each year.
- Before making calls when away from home, compare per minute rates and surcharges for different prepaid phone cards and calling card plans to find the one that saves you the most money.
- If you use a wireless phone, make sure your wireless calling plan covers the calls you typically make. Understand promotions, peak calling periods, area coverage and roaming, and long distance requirements to avoid paying too much.
Personally, I’ve found the easiest savings via my telephone bills. I couldn’t believe the options I was paying for but not even using. The other method for the most savings is the home energy audits. You’d be surprised how much money you could be saving.